This is certainly one of my favorite new retreat meals, our pumpkin spinach lasagna. For a while we were making lasagna at least once or twice a week and we came up with all kinds of variations. Some of them needed more improvement and others where right away delicious. And that’s how we created this super tasty pumpkin spinach lasagna. It has a yummy combination of warm autumn flavors like pumpkin together with the freshness of spinach and tomatoes. We really love this comfort food that warms you from the inside, especially on rainy autumn days. This lasagna was served on our yoga retreats this fall and since we got the requests to share the recipe, here it is.
And by the way, it is totally vegan. One day we watch a documentary about high performance athletes who eat vegan to improve their health, strength and endurance (The Game Changers). I can highly recommend this documentary, it was super interesting and also fun to watch. From that moment on Boris said he wanted to give it a try and he decided to eat fully vegan for half a year. And so we started to create more yummy vegan recipes for our retreats too.
Now here is the recipe for our Pumpkin Spinach Lasagna from the Living Yoga Retreats. Totally vegan, and of course you can add (vegan) cheese on top if you like.
Ingredients for 4 persons:
- 1 Hokkaido Pumpkin
- 500 g frozen Spinach
- 2 Aubergines
- 2 Onions
- 200 g Tomato Paste
- Lasagna sheets (vegan)
- 200 ml Oat Cream
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- Salt & Pepper
- Sugar or agave syrup
- Olive oil
- Nutritional yeast
- We are making two veggie sauces. One is pumpkin with spinach and the other is aubergine with tomato.
- Thaw the spinach and remove excess of water. Cut pumpkin into small cubes and cook. Add spinach and oat cream. Season to taste.
- Cut onions, press garlic and fry for a moment, then add the aubergine and some water. Stir from time to time and cook until the aubergine is done.
- Prepare tomato paste in a separate pan. Stir fry tomato paste in splash of oil, then add some sugar or agave.
- Take one tablespoon of tomato paste apart to mix with some water, use this sauce to cover the bottom surface of the oven dish.
- Now add the cooked aubergine to the rest of the tomato paste and season to taste.
- Make sure the veggie sauces are not too liquid but also not too dry, add water if needed.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Use the oven dish (with tomato sauce layer on the bottom), then add a layer of lasagna sheets and continue alternating veggie sauces and lasagna sheets. Top layer should be veggie sauce.
- Cover with aluminum foil and put in the oven at 200°C for about 45 minutes.
- Before serving sprinkle with nutritional yeast, oregano and thyme.