Bright yellow pickled cauliflower!
Whenever we are back in the Netherlands we always try to find the time to go to our favourite restaurant, where they serve such an amazing diversity of inspiring dishes. Restaurant Spirit in Rotterdam. Last time I noticed right away a beautiful bright yellow cauliflower dish. The colours where so vibrant and beautiful and the taste was unexpected and delicious. The description said that it was cauliflower pickle.
I never made pickles myself and I certainly had no idea that you could turn cauliflower into such a delicious yellow pickle. Back home I started with some research on how to pickle vegetables. Turns out to be quite simple and straight forward. Next step I got some cauliflower and gave it a try. It worked perfectly until I almost ruined the kitchen countertop. It turns out that curcuma not only stains the cauliflower but anything else it gets in contact with. So just be a bit careful there. We served our cauliflower pickle at the yoga retreat as a side dish with some rice, veggies in soy sauce and mango chutney.
Recipe (6 portions)
- 500 gr Cauliflower
- 100 gr Onion
- 125 gr Bell peppers
- 1 clove Garlic
- 2-3 tsp Curry
- 1 tsp Curcuma
- 200 ml Water
- 100 ml Vinegar
- 2,5 tbsp Sugar
- Cut cauliflower in small pieces. Mix the cauliflower with 1 tbsp. salt and leave for 1-2 hours.
- Chop onion, garlic and paprika.
- In a pan gently heat oil and add paprika, onion and garlic.
- Add curcuma, curry, salt and pepper and water, let it cook for about 5 minutes.
- Rinse of salt from cauliflower with water.
- Add sugar and vinegar to the pan and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Place the cauliflower in a clean glass jar, add the yellow sauce and make sure that most of the cauliflower is covered.
- Let cool down and then store in fridge for at least 3 days. The longer you let it stay the better it gets, but I never kept it for more than 10 days.